jeudi 6 décembre 2012

Magpie Me


MAGPIE ME

A thieving magpie.
Say it in French, it sounds better.
Une pie voleuse.
There’s one in the garden;
I’ve seen it strut over to a ball of bird food,
Pick it up and swoop away with it.

That’s what I am now.
I swoop down, collect and squirrel away
(a mixed metaphor – I collect them too)
all sorts of bits and pieces like a bird for a nest.
But with me it’s pictures: collages.

Nothing’s safe: rubber washers, wine corks,
tissue paper from chocolate boxes, paper doilies,
corrugated cardboard, beads, feathers, sticks,
dried leaves, wrapping paper, scraps of cloth …
The treasure trove grows daily.

As I fill my drawers and boxes, my head fills too  
with possibilities for paintings:
mediums, colours, effects, styles,
focal points, flowing lines,
geometric shapes, dripping paint …

So here I lie in bed, unable to sleep,
picking over my collection
like a magpie.






Written in the small hours of 19th February 2011

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire