mardi 18 décembre 2012

To Mrs B



To Mrs B

A bird. Just a garden bird.
Yet my heart aches to know you’re dead.
We saw you hunched against the garden wall
Eyes shut, not moving yet breathing
As we played badminton in the sun.
Worried, we played on,
Thinking you were scared to move
While we were there.
But when we’d finished playing
And left you to yourself to fly away
You didn’t. We checked
And there you were still.
So we prepared a shoe box
And picked you gently up
Though with difficulty
Because you scuttled silently away
But obviously could not fly.
We placed the box on the garage floor
Where you’d be safe from predators,
Left you food and water, shut the door
And hoped you’d simply knocked your wing
And would recover.
But next morning you were dead,
Lying under the car and I cried for the loss of you.
My Mrs Blackbird, Mrs B.
So beautiful with your dark flecked feathers
Your bright eyes now dusty with death.
Just two days ago I’d watched you
Splash about in the bird bath
With such pleasure, as you often did.
I’ll miss you so much, my Mrs B
But what I’ll try to remember
Is not the stiff body void of all
That made you you:
The bright eyes, the perky movements
The joy in sending the water showering
In glittering drops,
Shaking your feathers dry
Then flying off.
Thank you for all the happiness you gave us
Just being you.



Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire